Some September #SFGiants Stuff
Baseball lives off of small sample sizes in the day-to-day, so I thought you might find interest in some of these bullet points from September’s numbers:
- Marco Scutaro leads the MLB in H (39), along with the lowest K% for the month (2.8%)
- Matt Cain (3.23) and Barry Zito (3.24) have an FIP for September that is only a hundredth apart
- Buster Posey has got on base 40% of the time, while 40% of the balls Marco Scutaro came in contact with that didn’t go yard went for hits 40% of the time
- Tim Lincecum has the 8th highest GB% (56.8%) this month, and the lowest first strike percentage to go with it (48.1%)
- Joaquin Arias has a .177 wOBA this month. Even if you don’t know the stat, you can guess that that’s not a good thing
- Sergio Romo (12.2 IP) and Santiago Casilla (12.1) have combined for 25 IP this month, with three games left to play this month.
- Buster Posey and Pablo Sandoval have 4 HR this month. Next in line is Brandon Belt and Hunter Pence (3).
- Aubrey Huff has a 1.084 OPS in 13 PA
- Guillermo Mota has the highest K/9 of the Giants relievers in September (14.73), Shane Loux the lowest (0.00)
- Hector Sanchez (33.3%) has the highest K% amongst Giants position players
- Jose Mijares (0.95) has the lowest tERA of the relievers, Matt Cain (2.87) of the starters
So the moral of the story was Scutaro and Posey have been pretty darn good this month, and Tim Lincecum hasn’t seen as many 0-1 counts as he’d probably like, among many other things.